A couple of notes about why I’ve been off the LJ for a few days:
1) Too shagged. ‘Star Wars: Battlefront’ for the XBox is really addictive. And mostly, I just watch
2) Too full of Uli’s delicious breaded sweet & sour chicken “Thanksgiving” dinner. And carrot cake! Yum!
3) The New Job is apparently an 8am-8pm sort of deal. At least, those were my hours yesterday. Looking like it’s going to take that long today. Feeling a little worn down, but still gung-ho about improved salary, responsibility, ability to get here at 8:50am (as per today) and not be chastised by *anyone*.
4) On way home from work in taxicab, driver told me his wife was at the gym “trying to lose weight”. He informed me in heavily accented English that “his weight was already lost”. This spawned hilarious visions in my head of globulous clumps of cellulite blubbering around in the woods with a broken compass. My mind is odd sometimes.
5) Also odd was the completely out-of-the-blue idea I had last night to get creative with pastry and bake a chicken pot pie, decorated in the manner of cherry pie with pastry cut-out cherries on the crust, except with marijuana-shaped pastry leaves on the crust. Because then it would really *be* a chicken pot pie! Yes? Yes. Odd.
6) On the book front – WOW. I just finished reading a book I stole from
WARNING: Lengthy babble about casting Mazer, Graff & Anderson for ‘Ender’s Game’ movie ahead!
All I know is that Wolfgang Petersen better do a damn good job of casting, because I have some pretty vivid images in my mind that he needs to live up to. If it were me, I would pick a new batch of child actors for Ender, Peter and Valentine, and focus on headliners for the older male roles.
Mazer Rackham is supposed to look like he’s a 60-year-old New Zealander, so I don’t know why they don’t just use Harvey Keitel, since he’s already proven he can play that role perfectly in ‘The Piano’. My other choices would be Viggo Mortensen with make-up, since he does intensity, war commander and mild insanity well. And frankly, it seems like the perfect opportunity to reunite a large portion of the ‘Firefly’ cast – Nathon Fillion could be one of Ender’s teachers, Adam Baldwin might do well as Bonzo (although he’s a little old), Jewel Straite has such a baby face she might get away with Petra Arkanian (or at least Ender’s mother).
Colonel Graff, in my mind, is epitomized by William L. Petersen, who plays Gil Grissom on ‘CSI’. He can remain dignified and respectable while both fat and skinny, he’s good at looking for the greater justice in the face of other atrocities being committed, he can be gruff, caring, fatherly. I think he has what it takes to be the man who molds and shapes Ender into a commander.
Alternately, the role could be done by Gene Hackman, who certainly has military experience under his belt, and who has been a negligent yet caring father figure in ‘The Royal Tannenbaums’. Graff’s counterpart, Major Anderson, could be Mark Harmon (again, good military roles in the past), or hilariously, Hugo Weaving, who would have a good face for the part, expressive eyebrows, lots of experience in fantasy military command roles, father-figure roles, and more specifically, roles wherein he says ‘Mr. Anderson’. A lot.
That’s all for now. Have to go back to planning a tour. Hope everyone’s doing well, and I’ll try to finish my BC story soon. There are lots and lots of photos (about 160), but many of them are artsy scenery shots of ridiculously huge trees and pebbled beaches, so I’m not sure how many of you want to see that sort of thing. Maybe the artsy stuff can become a photo essay of Cathedral Grove for